Monday, February 7, 2011

Deliberate. Planned. Gifted. Positioned.

On Twitter today Max Lucado said, "You aren't an accident.  You were deliberately planned, specifically gifted, lovingly positioned on earth by the Master Craftsman."

I couldn't get this out of my head.  I just kept thinking about it.  Then I went to the thesaurus and found synonyms for deliberate:
*calculated
*designed
*purposeful
*thought out
*intentional
And now hours later I still find myself dwelling on these words.  In heaven I wish for God to show me home videos of when He made me.  How much design went into making me someone who will notice details that others don't usually notice?  Or how much intention did He take when He decided I would be more reserved around large groups of people?  I wonder how purposeful He was when He decided I would be tender hearted and cry so easily?  I need to remind myself I am who I am because One who is greater than me calculated me to be this way...and that way...and not this way...or not that way.

It's easy to want to be like someone else.  To look like someone else.  It's easy to pick out the things about ourselves we don't like.  I find myself doing that often lately.  I'm going to stop though.  Even as I notice ways my daughter is just like me, I need to celebrate that God was intentional about her too.  Maybe that trait about myself that drives me crazy...the one Miah has too...maybe it's because He saw it important enough to repeat.  I've been looking around for about a week now at friends, at family, at people on TV, people at church and seeing just how unique and different the Master Craftsman has deliberately planned for each of us to be.  How anyone can argue there is such a creator I don't know.

Sit down as a family or maybe while you're all at the dinner table, go around and pick out the ways God specifically gifted and deliberately planned for each of you to be.  Find the things that are uniquely special about each person.  As a bonus maybe you'll also see the ways your unique traits work together and compliment each other as a family.

Look at Jeremiah 1:5 to see how he was specifically gifted by God.
"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb.  Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations."

2 comments:

  1. Even our struggles cause us to rely on Him in unique ways. "For such a time as this" He has purposed our life...the good and the bad! Thanks for this great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love, this! This has come up in different situations over the last few days, are you in my head? lol! It came up at Activate group tonight.

    ReplyDelete