Friday, February 11, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

This is a story that took place three years ago.  I had written about it on Facebook in the Notes section and had forgotten all about it until recently.  Thought I'd share a little funny...

When Miah was in first grade one of her classmate's step-dad had passed away.  Miah had been thinking of her little friend and the situation and talking about it quite a bit.  Then within a couple weeks of that event the following conversation took place in the car on a Sunday after church...

Miah:  Momma, what if Daddy died?  I would be so sad!

Me:  I know, I would be too!!

Miah:  What if you died?  (the tension in her voice now rising rapidly)  What if you BOTH died?!  What would happen to me??  Who would take care of me?!?!

Of course I'm driving and she's in the back seat and I'm feeling horrible that she is so concerned so I'm near tears.  I'm trying to be calm and not create any more tension, and I'm wanting desperately to ease her fears...

Momma:  Well that's why we have faith in God and pray for Him to protect us.  But if something did happen to us, you would have nothing to worry about.  Scott and Kathy (my sister) would take care of you.

Miah:  *big gasp*  THAT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER!!!

Me:  (My deep concern suddenly declined!)  WHAT?  Better than WHAT?! Better than Momma and Daddy????

Miah:  Well, I still love you!  It's just that I really miss Scott and Kathy!

Miah with Aunt Kathy 2007
Aahhh that brought many laughs and still does when I think back on that.  But now as I reminisce it makes me think about how secure she felt.  I mean, her concern for what would happen to her lasted just two minutes - if that.  She felt secure knowing she'd be taken care of and never once worried about her next meal or if bills would be paid or if her home would be protected or if...

Let's try to have the faith of a child.  Let's rest in our Father knowing He will take care of us.  Let's believe in all of His goodness He assures us about.  Let's live saying "that would be even better!"

"Do do not worry, saying, 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Fathers knows that you need them.  But seek first His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."   Matthew 6:31-34

No comments:

Post a Comment