Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Momma's Hands

I was looking through pictures my niece posted on Facebook of holiday time.  I clicked on the next one and there it was...a rolling pin, some cookie dough and a woman's hand.  My MOMMA'S hand!  I'd recognize that hand anywhere (even if it wasn't on a familiar site).

photo by Kaitlynn Passon

This one simple picture brought several words to my mind in a moment:  creative, sewer, teacher, reader, doodler, list maker, story teller and one other one...simply - "Mom." 
  

photo by Kaitlynn Passon

I like details.  I like to pay attention to people's mannerisms and details about their physical appearance that makes them unique.  I've always taken notice of things like that.  Memories of my mom's hands I have are:  she never liked her hands even as a young girl and it was because of her veins...funny thing is, I always loved that part!  I always hung my hand down to let the blood rush so my veins would be puffy like hers.  She never removed her wedding band from the day my dad put it on her finger.  She had strong nails like her mother and they were nicely shaped nails.  She used her hands to teach:  Sunday school, how to sew a button, how to tie a shoe, how to tie a perfect bow so it's not crooked,  how to roll the cookie dough, how to hold a picture so you don't get fingerprints on it, how to iron a shirt and iron a perfect pleat.  The list is long.  For me the list is 37 years long.  

The older I get the more of my mother's mannerisms I see in myself.  Most times I laugh when I notice them or tease my sister when I notice them in her. :)  But really, why would I expect anything different than to resemble my mom (and dad)?  In all of this remembering and thinking of all she has taught me through just her hands alone,  I sit and wonder..."What is Miah seeing in me?  What is she learning from my hands?  What details is she picking out?  What will she mimic?  What will she remember?  What am I teaching that I don't even realize I'm teaching?"

I hope she is seeing love and kindness and patience...hmmmm, this sounds familiar...

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."  Galatians 5:22-23

What details can you take notice of today that your kiddos are more than likely noticing already?  Any details you think you may need to change?  What are things you learned from watching YOUR mom?

2 comments: