Monday, January 10, 2011

I Have Put Words In Your Mouth!

You know what I hate?  You know what can make me feel guilty faster than anything?  That moment I react to my daughter out of pure frustration.  Ugh.  It gives me that sinking feeling.  I know I can't be the only parent feeling like this.

It always amazes me how Satan can find that weak moment.  The moment when I'm tired.  Or the one when I have a headache and want to be left alone.  Or the moment when I see a messy room that I've asked to be cleaned up or the clothes that I've washed, dried, folded and brought upstairs that are now in a messy pile on top of the dresser, or how about when...well you get the point...he finds that moment when I don't have the energy to filter my irritation before I spew it.  

This is what's been on my mind since I posted the last couple entires (Momma's Hands & Impressions).  It's made me meditate on myself the last several days and wonder what impressions I make on my child.  A wise person taught me "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."  More than the actual words sometimes, it's my tone that is my weakness.  I'm usually not very good at hiding my irritation.

As I was researching verses that I added at the bottom I read Jeremiah 1:9..."Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said, 'Look, I have put words in your mouth!'"  Seriously?  How awesome would it be if the Lord would zip mine for a moment, turn my face towards His and then say those very words to me:  "Look, Karla, I have put words in your mouth!"  Aahhhh...but thankfully He has given me His Word that I may find delicious truths to learn from.

Here are words from His Word...

Psalm 19:14  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Psalm 119:103  How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey.

Proverbs 12:25  Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.

Proverbs 16:24  Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.

Proverbs 17:27  A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even- tempered.

If you're a parent that struggles sometimes with words or with tone, or if you're a friend or a daughter or a wife or a husband...I share these reminders of wisdom from God of what kind, sweet, encouraging and patient words do.

Any tidbits of wisdom you can share?  I'd love to hear! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so true!! I look at the 3 cherub faces that sleep in my house at night and think "Why did I...?" "How could I have said...?" May God touch all of our unclean lips with His purifying coal and fill them with His own. Thank you for giving us a head start on that process!!

    ReplyDelete