Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Salute You

Today is Veteran's Day.  I feel so thankful and blessed today that I have the privilege to live in a country with so many freedoms that many people do not.  I have the freedom to worship our Creator and the freedom to teach young lives about Him and His Son.  My deepest thanks and gratitude goes out to the many men and women from years past and those that currently serve to keep those freedoms.

There are some other veterans I'd like to thank as well.  I'm thinking of a couple that for over 40 years taught kids and they were affectionately called "Grandma and Grandpa" by all kids.  Unfortunately health is the only reason they retired from teaching.  I think about my own mother today.  She just retired teaching this year.  For 47 years she taught the 4 and 5 year olds in Sunday school.  Every week.  All year.  For 47 years.  I love her so.  What an example I have had before me!  My "salutes" and my thanks goes to those veterans that have taught me commitment and that have taught me to serve.  I pray I can continue to be mentored by them and pray the same for people in my generation.

I lead the children's ministry at Celebration Christian Church and am blessed with a fantastic team of volunteers that serve every week.  I've spent time this week thinking about them and being thankful for them.  Here is my Top Ten list of reasons why I love them...

10.  I appreciate the way they SUPPORT me as I lead in children's ministry.
  9.  I like their FLEXIBILITY when some weeks they have a handful of kiddos and then others they have a few handfuls...
  8.  They help to MENTOR teens that serve as assistants in their small groups.  Thanks to them for being great LEADERS for our teens that serve.
  7.  Again, they are FLEXIBLE when some weeks they have too much time in their small group (maybe because a certain preacher talked too long...) and other weeks when they have not enough time.  I'm thankful for their flexibility and making adjustments as needed.
  6.  I love that they're not afraid to WORSHIP with the kiddos...and worship their style.
  5.  I see the ways they INTERACT with the kids as they come in and greet, talk and play with them.
  4.  They WANT to be there...I didn't have to twist their arm to serve.
  3.  I'm thankful for their EXAMPLE to the kids of loving, worshipping, serving and learning about God.
  2.  Their COMMITMENT.  Thank you to my volunteers for being there week after week!
  1.  And my top reason for being thankful is for the ways each one is UNIQUE and bring their unique talents and gifts to serve God!

Who has made an impact on you?  Who are you thankful for today?  Who are you needing to "salute" today?

Psalm 100

3 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for you my friend and how you are using your talent for teaching and your love of children to make an impact in so many lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks girls for the encouragement! and thanks for interacting in comments :)

    ReplyDelete