Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Just to Name a Few...

No one would argue that as adults we have needs.  Specific needs.  Specific needs I believe we expect to be met by our church family.  Kids do too.  I had several things God brought to my mind on Sunday as I thought back over the day. 

The lesson this past Sunday was based on the story of the paralyzed man that was lowered through the roof to see Jesus.  Jesus, before healing the man, forgave him of his sins.  With the topic of forgiveness we shared about sins we do that hurt God and then after talked about sins others do to hurt us.  A young girl raised her hand and shared "I forgive my parents for getting a divorce.  It was their decision and it hurt me."  I believe every adult in the room instantly felt COMPASSION for her.  Isn't that a need we expect from our church home?  To come and feel compassion for our struggles we are faced with as a christian, as a parent, as a misunderstood teen, as a (insert your label here....)?  This child was needing compassion in that moment.  I could even feel other kids in that room that could relate to her feelings and others that simply felt for her.  Compassion.

We expect FRIENDSHIP  from our church family don't we?  Funny how as parents we tak
e our kids to their class or children's area and expect them to happily march in.  I see as parents "push" their kids in convincing them that they'll have a great time, etc.  I've done it.  But don't we as adults like when they have someone to sit by or walk in with?  Many or most of us don't like going to church alone.  One 6 year old this week was thinking real hard about coming to Celebrate Kids but wasn't quite convinced by either parent or the two team members that were convincing her how much fun she'd have...until...she saw a friend she hadn't seen in awhile.  As soon as she saw her, she eagerly came in and ran to join her.  Friendship.


A word I struggle with...CONSISTENCY.   Ya, ya...you've heard it before and probably said to yourself a thousand times...diet, exercise, discipline, Bible reading, and so on.  That word can be applied many places. Another place to apply it?  Children.  Church.  Children IN church.  I am thinking about a handful of toddler/preschoolers that have been new to Celebrate Kids.  Tears.  Screams.  Looks of longing as their parents leave.  It breaks your heart, but consistency is the key.  Keep trying.  Keep coming back.  Keep keep keep doing it.  Eventually they'll get it.  Eventually they'll learn (through consistency) that this is a safe place.  A fun place.  I saw that this week with a toddler who would scream and cry every time.  This week?  She came in.  Said good bye to mom and dad.  And, and, and...NO TEARS!  Much rejoicing inside the adults of that room :)  Consistency.

Adults have needs.   Specific needs.  Kiddos do too, and I don't want us to forget that those needs can be met by the church family.  As much ministry as you believe happens with adults, happens with children too.  I am thankful for the team members that serve in Celebrate Kids.  Most of them serve every single week throughout the year, and I am thankful that I get to see compassion, friendship and consistency in the relationships that are built by God.  And those needs are just to name a few...

2 comments:

  1. i love this! thank you for helping us adults to see thru our kids' eyes...from their viewpoint, their perspective what their needs are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a response from Facebook I wanted to share with you. It's one of the parents that is like the "consistency" example :)
    Leslie Schneider:
    "Consistency it is!! Just not too long ago, Layla was one of those kids that would cry everytime we would go to leave. It broke my heart to leave but I knew it was for best and that she would eventually stop crying and decide to play. I ...kept praying for this to pass and for Layla to feel comfort when we go to leave. And now, Layla every Sunday morning is rushing me out the door because she wants to get to church so she can see Missy and Bruce!!!!! Through consistency and prayer our Sunday mornings are much more delightful. God is GREAT!! Thanks to all the volunteers that gave Layla hugs and provided her comfort when she was not feeling it."

    ReplyDelete